So you booked your session and now comes the fun part - choosing which outfits for the whole family (just kidding - that's the worst)
But fear not! While I certainly don’t claim to be a fashion expert I have learned a few tricks over the years that can make this whole process a lot simpler.
Follow these simple guidelines and you’ll be golden.
- Do - Coordinate colors, do not match outfits!
- Do - Wear clothes with a nice fit, try not to wear anything baggy.
- Do - Consider what you’ll be doing with these images - if they are going to be hanging up in your living room, consider wearing something that compliments your decor.
- Don’t - Wear matching outfits! Even though this is mentioned above it’s important to keep this in mind when you’re picking out your clothes. Long gone are the days where everyone is wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt.
- Don’t - Wear casual sneakers - though you certainly want to be comfortable, gym shoes are never a good idea. If you’re anything like my family, you may have every intention to have your family portraits taken every year but sometimes it just doesn't happen. That means the clothes you pick out today could be on your walls for a while - try selecting outfits that would be considered timeless.
- Don’t - Wear crazy patterns or small checkered shirts. Trust me, I have a lot of these shirts and I love them but they just don’t show up well in photographs and make your images look like a page out of those magic eye books from when we were kids. Try something clean, simple or even solid-colored. If you want to showcase more personality consider adding an accent piece somewhere to your outfits.
If you follow these six basic rules I guarantee your images will look 👌🏻
Lastly, if you're really stuck on how to choose your clothes, thankfully there is no shortage of good websites that can help you make this decision. The first place I recommend going to is Pinterest. Follow the link below for endless possibilities without being overwhelmed!